Let me share some basic information with you, about rhodium:
- Rhodium is a chemical element with the symbol of Rh and atomic number of 45,
- It is one of the rarest and most valuable precious metals,
- Rhodium is a hard, silvery in colour, durable metal that has a high shine.
- Why jewellery needs rhodium plating?
Since white gold is a mixture of both a white metal and 24kt yellow gold, it makes sense that white gold jewellery would have a yellow tinge. A thin layer of rhodium makes gold or silver jewellery, extra shiny and bright. Because Rhodium is a very hard metal, it is less likely to get scratched. Rhodium as an element in the platinum family makes silver jewellery resistant to tarnish and corrosion.
2. Can I have an allergic reaction to it?
While rhodium is unlikely to cause an allergic reaction, the metals underneath, like white and coloured gold, as well as silver, may produce allergic symptoms.
3. How long does rhodium plating last?
How long it lasts depends of many factors such as: how often you wear it, and what type of jewellery it is? When wedding rings are worn a lot it is damaged easier, but a necklace is worn less frequently as well as has less contact with a skin, and therefore would last for longer.
4. How often do I need to rhodium plate my gold ring?
You can tell when the plating is wearing away by the look of it- the area without the plating will show the yellowish colour of the original white gold. On average, the plating on a white gold ring should last about a year.
5. Can I make a rhodium plating last longer?
Definitely! By respecting the rules below you can make rhodium plating last longer:
- Always take off your jewellery when swimming,
- Avoid exposing your ring to harsh chemicals- wear rubber gloves to protect your rings,
- Avoid rubbing your jewellery while you wash your hands or during sleep,
- Cosmetics and perfumes can affect rhodium plating- put on your jewellery after perfume application and remove your jewellery before taking a bath or a shower.
6. How much does rhodium plating costs?
The average price for rhodium plating is $100
7. What is black rhodium plating?
Rhodium is silver-white colour. By binding ink to rhodium, a dark colour can be created- from light grey to black.
I hope this article helps 🙂 If you have more questions please leave a comment or send me an email and I will respond to you asap.